suggested retail
Get Nifty Forums
getnifty.com

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Not enough state cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagnaCorpus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Not enough state cards Reply with quote

I find the biggest weakness of this game is the ratio of state to character cards. Almost every time I've played I lost simply because I could never get the state cards I needed to so much as buy a nifty token. Once you have a nifty token, winning the game is a fairly trivial matter. However, it's eternally frustrating to watch the player before you toss away three WEIRD cards and no way for me to get them (because I don't have one of the few characters that let me rifle through the discard pile for state cards).

I'm not saying I dislike the game at all. I'm simply saying it's a but skewed to the character cards a bit too much. Either that, or there's not enough characters that give you a chance to find state in the discard pile.

A suggestion would be to make it harder to win after getting the nifty token but easier to get (and lose) state cards. It turns out one of the easiest ways to protect your state is to simply not defend in a fight, then on your next turn reactivate the state by attacking yourself with a pitiful attack.

Cheers!
pclips
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did test for balance more than any other aspect of the game play. That's why there are Nifty tokens, instead of Nifty cards. Waiting for a Nifty card (which are unstealable) was an unreasonable extension of game play.

You're meant to steal the State cards you need, when you don't draw them. Early in the game it is good to practice hand management by discarding all but the most vicious Boredom and Dangerous Characters, so that you'll have the best chance of drawing the State you need. But if you don't draw one, you are likely to draw the weapons you will need to attack other players and steal theirs.

It's as hard to win the game after getting the Nifty token as other players allow. Remember that you have to have markers on both your Safe and Weird cards to play Nifty points, so other players are supposed to knock your legs out from under you when you are running for the finish line. Very Happy
VoiceofKiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the state cards. It's not so bad with numerous players, but it's hell on a two-handed game. My coworker and I have a terrible time of playing discard/redraw turns for ten minutes until someone has a state card. It gets super frustrating, plus you have to discard lots of nifty usable characters to get one. It makes me a sad ferret. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pclips
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit there was not as much playtesting with a 2-player game. It may require some optional rule to "buy" a State card, perhaps.

Don't forget there are a number of Discard Options on cards, so that's another way you can get one. Inflatable Time Machine, for example, will let you pick up the deck and retrieve one from the future.